SAFE URBAN DRIVING
Safe Urban Driving (SUD) is essential training for all commercial drivers operating HGVs regularly in the urban environment and where there are high volumes of vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians. SUD Training is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) Silver level
- Construction Logistics & Cyclist Safety (CLOCS) Standard
SUD is delivered in two sections, a classroom theory module and a practical cycling module, where drivers experience a cyclist’s view of the road. The two modules are delivered on the same day, and courses are run around the country by a number of training providers.
SUD is a one day course running from 08.00 to 16.30. The course consists of two 3.5 hour modules, one classroom based and one practical module where drivers can get on bikes and get a cyclist’s view of the road. The two modules are taught on the same day with up to twenty drivers participating in two groups of ten.
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users