SAFE URBAN DRIVING
Safe Urban Driving (SUD) is essential training for all commercial drivers operating HGVs regularly in the urban environment and where there are high volumes of vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians. SUD Training is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) Silver level
- Construction Logistics and Community Safety (CLOCS) Standard
SUD is delivered in two sections, a classroom theory module and a practical cycling module, where drivers experience a cyclist’s view of the road. The two modules are delivered on the same day, and courses are run around the country by a number of training providers.
This course is DCPC approved by licensed training providers and runs for seven hours in accordance with periodic training regulations. Drivers attending this course will need to be physically able to ride a bicycle in order to complete the course and receive a certificate.
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users