Active Plant Hire is based on the London Essex border in Upminster and caters for every aspect of Excavator, Heavy Machinery, Plant and Equipment hire services for domestic, commercial and trade customers across London and the surrounding counties. We are operated plant specialists and can also offer ground works using our own specialised personnel. Our professional and unique partnership approach to all customers enables us to provide the very best service giving all customers complete satisfaction and peace of mind.
With same day delivery, we are proud to offer the complete plant hire service for customers throughout London and the surrounding counties. From one off private hire to on-going trade contracts, we provide top quality machinery and plant, explains Jerry O’Donovan our Transport Manager and Director.’
We decided to go for FORS as best practise. When we looked at the requirements and benefits of joining the scheme we saw that they fitted in perfectly with our ethos of improving safety whilst complementing our drive to improve fuel efficiency and reduce our environmental impact’
We take compliance and safety very seriously so we achieved our Bronze and Silver Accreditation first time. FORS did help us by providing training and tools that improved the policies and procedures’
The performance management toolkit really helped us set our targets for reducing our carbon footprint and improving our MPG. FORS has helped us improve our filing systems and procedures’
‘FORS has helped us achieve compliance and safety’ – Jerry O’Donovan Managing Director
All our drivers have completed their Safe Urban Driving course. We have also invested heavily in vehicle safety systems cameras, nearside proximity sensors and audible alarms for all our vehicles. All our drivers have also completed FORS E-Learning modules.’
‘We have increased our MPG by 6.15% since our baseline year’ – Jerry O’Donovan Managing Director
- We have managed to keep our accidents/incidents down to zero for the last 3 years in a row. We achieved this by making sure we always selected the best route possible to all our sites and we plan ahead before leaving the yard. We also reduced our parking fines and charges by 100% in the past 12 months.
|MPG||Incidents per 100,000 Kms||Number of Parking Fines and Charges|
|Nov 14-Oct 2015||13.50||0||7|
|Nov 16-Oct 2017||14.33||0||0|
|Percentage improvement||6.15%||0%||100% increase|
- We get all my drivers to complete a comprehensive Medical Declaration on a annually basis even though the FORS Standard states once every 5 years. It’s also mentioned in the drivers handbook that if they at any point in time start suffering from a medical condition they need to notify the company ASAP as well as if they need to start taking medication prescribed by their GP or over the counter drugs. We will then investigate it to see if it’s still safe for the driver to be driving for the company and we may even ask the driver to get a letter from his doctor informing the company if he is still able to drive for the company. We will then start doing more driver assessments on the driver to make sure he isn’t a risk to the company or anyone on the road.
- We have recently adopted a recruitment policy to try and help us recruit young drivers into the Transport industry.
- We only have 1 Operators yard and it’s in the middle of the countryside. We don’t carry out any vehicle servicing at our site, we only use this site for parking our Vehicles and plant equipment. Servicing is done by main dealers at their premises and as we are a plant hire company we deliver and collect plant equipment from constructions sites. All our vehicles are fitted with White Noise Reversing alarms.
- We carry heavy equipment to and from construction sites across the whole country. We move anything from a digger to a crane. As we rely on our customers asking us to collect equipment from various construction sites across the whole country, we never know where we are going until they need us. Therefore we can’t afford to try and move anything via barge or train as we collect all the equipment from building sites and there is no other method than using a lorry and we then asked to deliver anywhere in the country. So using a Lorry is the most cost effective way of moving our clients goods. We are replacing all our lorries with Euro 6 engines as and when they are due. We have looked at electric vehicles and because of the weights we carry and the fact that our lorries have specialist equipment fitted no manufacture have produced an alternative fuelled vehicle that can carry the weight we do and go over the same terrain we do.
We will continue using what FORS has taught us to improve our MPG and reduce any wasted idling we might have and keep our Parking fines and Charges to zero’
Gaining FORS Gold Accreditation shows how dedicated we are as a company to improving road safety and the safety of all vulnerable road users in London as well as nationally. We will continuously use what FORS has taught us to help reduce our carbon footprint and make the roads so safer for everyone that uses them. We have also managed to make a significant saving by reducing our fuel usage and improving our MPG.
Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim