CSL are a family owned and run business with more than 40 years of experience in delivering transport, aggregates and storage solutions. Conveniently based just off the M3 at Blackwater, our team of drivers and operations staff are dedicated to providing haulage services across the UK and into Europe. With a second transport and storage base in Gloucester, we trade on our reputation for delivering an exceptional service every time.Our road haulage division has 16 rigid, hiab and artic trucks – a mixture of Renault, Scania and Volvo, and the aggregates division has seven tippers and grabs – mainly DAF. Both sides of our business have significantly grown in the past four years, and to reflect our investment in the fleet, we are proud to have worked hard to ensure we achieve silver FORS said Dan Broda – Depot & Fleet Manager.
We came across FORS when tendering for work across London. When we looked at the requirements and benefits of joining the scheme we saw that they fitted in perfectly with our ethos of improving safety whilst complementing our drive to improve fuel efficiency and reduce our environmental impact.
We take compliance and safety very seriously, so we achieved our Bronze and Silver Accreditation first time. FORS did help us by providing training and tools that improved our policies and procedures. The FORS workshop has ensured all our drivers remain updated about the latest procedures, and best practice methods of driving/operating. We are extremely committed to compliance, raising driver awareness of cyclist safety and reducing the amount of accidents/PCNs in the team.
The performance management toolkit really helped us set our targets for reducing our carbon footprint and accidents. We also have regular managerial meetings to discuss our fuel usage and try and find out where we could make more savings. FORS has helped us improve our filing systems and procedures. Through the FORS process, we have made better use of our telematics system; driving behaviours have altered – we operate a traffic light system – and have moved our (low) percentage of ‘red’ drivers to amber and are ensuring they are proactively encouraged to continue improving until they join the majority of our drivers on green. The telematics system provides us with comprehensive information on how our trucks are being driven – ie if they have accelerated too fast, braked too hard etc, and this allows us to educate the drivers into a more consistent and cost-effective approach.
‘FORS has helped us achieve compliance and safety’ Dan Broda – Depot & Fleet Manager
All of our vehicles are fitted with 360 degree cameras, audible turn left alarms, Class IV, V, VI Mirrors, Fresnel Lenses, Flashing beacons on the roof of our cabs, cyclist safety stickers. All our drivers have completed all DCPC training and Safer Urban Driving courses, we tapped into the FORS network of training providers and safety equipment providers to save money. All our drivers have also completed the FORS E-Learning modules
‘We have improved our MPG by 89.46% compared to our baseline year’ Dan Broda Depot & Fleet Manager
Once we were Bronze we decided that we should progress to Silver because we were already doing everything that was required for the Silver accreditation in particular all our vehicles already had all the safety equipment fitted and our drivers have already done the Safe Urban Driving Course. Once we were Silver accredited we decided to show best practice and make ourselves standout from our competitors and go for the Gold accreditation.
- We hoping to improve on our Carbon Footprint by making sure our driver selects the best possible route to our sites and reduce our Idling across the Fleet too.
|MPG||Number of Euro 6 Lorries on the fleet||Number of PCNs|
|Aug 15 – Jul 2016||8.35||8||4|
|Aug 16 – Jul 2017||15.82||16||7|
*Annual improvement in MPG
- All my drivers complete a comprehensive Medical Declaration on an annual basis even though the FORS Standards recommend once every 5 years. Its mentioned in the drivers handbooks which also forms part of their contract of employment that it is their responsibility to inform the company ASAP if they develop any medical conditions or are prescribed any medication that might affect their ability to drive. Once a driver has informed the company we would investigate it and if we feel the driver needs to get a letter from his GP informing us that he is fit to drive again. We will only let him drive a company vehicle once he has received the letter and given it to the company. We would then decide on how often we needed to do driver assessment on the driver going forward.
- We have recently implemented a Recruitment Policy that outlines that we as a company would look at employing young drivers/ employees where possible and training them up to do what is required in a particular role.
- We have no work carried out at our operating centre as all servicing etc is carried out at main dealers. We never need to do any loading/ unloading in our operating yard as we leave our yard empty to go to site collect our load there then deliver it to the client’s sites and bring an empty vehicle back at the end of the day. The only noise is generated while our vehicles are idling when the drivers are doing their defect checks. Other than that, there is no other noise on site.
- Unfortunately, as we run specialist artic lorries with trailers, we are currently unable to replace any of our vehicles with Electric or Hybrid. But we have been replacing all our lorries with the Euro 6 engines and that’s had a huge impact in reducing our carbon footprint and increased our MPG across the whole fleet.
We are actively looking at the new low entry cabs and seeing if we can replace our current fleet with them when we come to replace them. But again looking at whole life costs, it’s not cost effective for us because of the size of our fleet as yet, but hopefully going forward the manufacturers will be reducing the costs’
Achieving FORS Gold Accreditation shows how dedicated we are as a company to improving road safety and the safety of all vulnerable road users in London as well as nationally. We will continuously use what FORS has taught us to help reduce our carbon footprint and make the roads so safer for everyone that uses them.
Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim