TMJ Interiors are a bespoke joinery manufacturing company based in Bildeston delivering to high end residential and commercial clients within the London community. My name is Toby Meadows and I am the Health and Safety manager / FORS champion for the company.
Since joining FORS in 2013 TMJ have grown as a company achieving various safety and transport awards during this period, most recently achieving ROSPA MORR for the 4th year running. Being part of FORS has helped us reduce PCN’s, fuel usage and Co2 emissions.
TMJ were introduced to FORS in 2013 by our main contractors. As a company we could instantly see the benefits of being part of FORS, the driver training and management training and useful toolkits assisted TMJ to become an advocate of work related road risk and promote transport safety. The FORS e-learning has contributed considerably to the reduction of PCN’s which we have reduced to one or two a year, educating the drivers has been a great success.
In July 2013 & 2016 we passed FORS Bronze with no comments from the auditor which was a major achievement.
In May 2014 TMJ went on to achieve Silver and Gold and we continue to renew annually.
Teresa Gorham – QuESH Manager says,
“Our involvement with FORS empowers us to engage with our workforce to remain vigilant in the transport sector.”
TMJ decided to enrol the Assistant Workshop Manager, QuESH Manager and Health and Safety Manager on to the FORS practitioner course, all have since completed. This has had a huge effect on how TMJ manages our transport sector, continuing to maintain high standards with safety at the forefront of the business. Since 2013 we have carried out over 400 hours of Transport training throughout our company consisting of e-learning, tool box talks and CPC training.
Martin Holmes – Projects Director says,
“Achieving ROSPA Gold is a major achievement for the business and retaining FORS Gold would be the icing on the cake.”
As a company TMJ strive to be the best joinery company within our sector, all awards and accreditations are no different, TMJ aspire to achieve the highest standards so achieving FORS Gold and working alongside all requirements was our objective from the start.
CO2 Output (Tonnes)
|NOX (KG) HGV||
Number of PCNs
- Driver health and fitness review – All drivers attend a yearly consultation with an Occupational Health Nurse, this consists of blood pressure, cholesterol, hearing test, eye sight test, urine test (for kidney and diabetes not drugs and alcohol) lung function test and a general consultation. Due to recent information on diesel fumes causing health conditions TMJ have decided that all HGV drivers have a lung function test every six months instead of yearly with our Occupational Health Nurse, any comments or concerns will be addressed by our nurse.
- Strategy for recruiting drivers – TMJ have a small fleet of 3 HGV’s and 4 LGV’s and are proud to say we have had the same HGV drivers for nearly 10 years. Working for TMJ comes with a number of benefits including a pension, private health care and CPC training paid for by the company and in working hours.
- Noise assessment – TMJ have carried out an in depth noise assessment on our vehicles highlighting any risk areas, the loudest sounds are the horn and turning left sound which are both instant sounds.
- Modal shift and alternative vehicles – TMJ have looked at alternate transport to try and reduce CO2 emissions, unfortunately due to the short mileage and logistical difficulties the best and most economical way is to continue using Euro 6 HGV lorries, TMJ will continue to seek the latest vehicles in the market.
- Retaining our FORS Gold for the 5th year in a row would show all our competitors, Main Contractors and to the wider community we work for, just how seriously TMJ takes work related road risk within our business.
Linked in: Taylor Made Joinery Interiors Limited