Mike Newman Haulage Ltd are based in Besthorpe, Norfolk and specialise in general haulage for the construction industry. Mike Newman, Director, has seen huge benefits for Mike Newman Haulage Ltd from FORS. The safety features now fitted to our vehicles have reduced incidents and our staff training programme has helped with our employees understanding of their job roles & responsibilities. With modern facilities and fully qualified staff, the company provides a professional haulage and transport service to businesses and individuals across the UK. The service is designed to provide a smooth transport service, enabling clients to relax with the knowledge that the transport is being carried out by experienced personnel.
We came across FORS when tendering for work across London. We were introduced to FORS through our supply chain and immediately realised the procedures and standards required to achieve the Bronze accreditation was exactly where we wanted our company to be and more.’
We take compliance and safety very seriously so we passed our Bronze assessment first time which gave us the platform and confidence to proceed to the Silver Accreditation. Keen to distinguish ourselves from our competition we immediately began work to achieve this goal and wanted to achieve Gold too. FORS did help us by providing training and tools that improved our policies and procedures’
FORS has us in many ways, a key area we have identified improvement is staff training and refreshers. The FORS system encourages our staff to be proactive with their training, allowing them to identity their own areas for improvement. We have regular one to one training days with outsourced FORS practitioners to ensure all staff meet out stringent driving standards’
‘We used the FORS accreditation as a spring board to promote our newly formed company to a whole host of clients. The response was overwhelming’ – Michael Culley – Transport Manager
All our drivers have completed their Safe Urban Driving course. We have also invested heavily in vehicle safety systems cameras, nearside proximity sensors and audible alarms for all our vehicles. All our drivers have also completed FORS E-Learning modules as well and our Transport Manager is a FORS Practitioner too.’
‘We have increased our MPG by 17.88% since our baseline year’ – Michael Culley – Transport Manager
We have improved our MPG across the whole fleet from 8.95 MPG to 10.55 MPG. We achieved this by making sure we always selected the best route possible to all our sites and we plan ahead before leaving the yard. We have also replaced a older Euro 4 lorry with a brand new Euro 6 Lorry.
|MPG||Incidents||Number of Parking Fines and Charges|
|Apr 15-Mar 2016||8.95||0||0|
|Apr 17-Mar 2018||10.55||3||1|
|Percentage improvement||17.88%||-300%||100% increase|
* bearing in mind there were only 3 accidents this means that this is statistically insignificant.
- We get all my drivers to complete a comprehensive Medical Declaration on an annually basis even though the FORS Standard states once every 5 years. It’s also mentioned in the driver’s handbook that if they at any point in time start suffering from a medical condition they need to notify the company ASAP as well as if they need to start taking medication prescribed by their GP or over the counter drugs. We will then investigate it to see if it’s still safe for the driver to be driving for the company and we may even ask the driver to get a letter from his doctor informing the company if he is still able to drive for the company. We will then start doing more driver assessments on the driver to make sure he isn’t a risk to the company or anyone on the road.
- We have recently adopted a recruitment policy to try and help us recruit young drivers into the Transport industry.
- We only have 1 Operating centre and we use it for parking our lorries. We don’t do any loading/ unloading on site and all our servicing is done by main dealers at their sites not ours. The only noise generated is when my lorries are idling so we can carry out our defect checks. All my lorries have white noise reversing alarms fitted to them.
- We specialise in plant and machine transport to construction sites across the whole country. As we rely on our customers asking us to deliver to various construction sites across the whole country, we never know where we are going until they need us. Therefore, we can’t afford to try and move anything via barge or train as we collect all the equipment from building sites and there is no other method than using a lorry and we then asked to deliver anywhere in the country. So using a Lorry is the most cost effective way of moving our clients goods. We are replacing all our lorries with Euro 6 engines as and when they are due for replacement. We have looked at electric vehicles and because of the weights we carry and the fact that our lorries have specialist equipment fitted no manufacture have produced an alternative fuelled vehicle that can carry the weight we do and go over the same terrain we do.
Achieving the Gold Accreditation would show our ever-increasing client base our commitment to continued improvement. FORS has transformed our approach to our business and I believe will only promote a positive reputation for our industry. We strive to be more efficient, professional and environmentally friendly. Gold Accreditation can only aid our endeavours. FORS Gold Accreditation also shows how dedicated we are as a company to improving road safety and the safety of all vulnerable road users in London as well as nationally. We will continuously use what FORS has taught us to help reduce our carbon footprint and make the roads so safer for everyone that uses them. We have also managed to make a significant saving by reducing our fuel usage and improving our MPG.
Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim.