Established in 1997, Orlight is a long-standing dominant force within the Architectural lighting market. As our mission statement indicates, we pride ourselves in adding value to our client’s proposition by providing unparalleled lighting products and services delivered in a unique manner to our ever changing and exciting industry sector. Our business model places us and subsequently our clients at an advantage, we are manufacturers completely and 100% in command of our supply chain. Quality, research and development, product innovation, testing, procurement is all down to us. No third parties involved throughout our manufacturing process means we are able to deliver higher quality products at reduced prices to our client base. Substantial stocks of architectural products held for dispatch within the UK and Europe means we do not keep our clients waiting. Our ability to bulk deliver high quality architectural products directly to site at a moments notice is often a competitive advantage to our esteemed clients. Dan Poole, Transport Manager is our elected Fuel and Emissions Champion and he explains how important FORS is to our Company’
We came across FORS when tendering for work across London. When we looked at the requirements and benefits of joining the scheme we saw that they fitted in perfectly with our ethos of improving safety whilst complementing our drive to improve fuel efficiency and reduce our environmental impact’
We take compliance and safety very seriously so we achieved our Bronze and Silver Accreditation first time. FORS did help us by providing training and tools that improved the policies and procedures’
The performance management toolkit really helped us set our targets for reducing our carbon footprint and improving our MPG. FORS has helped us improve our filing systems and procedures’
‘FORS has helped us achieve compliance and safety’ – Dan Poole – Transport Manager
We have implemented all the policy’s FORS as suggested and with that we haven’t had in any accidents in the last 4 years. We have also implemented an anti-idling policy to help reduce our fuel usage across the Fleet. All our drivers have completed their Safe Urban Driving course which was funded by the Transport for London. We have also invested heavily in vehicle safety systems cameras, nearside proximity sensors and audible alarms for all our vehicles. All our drivers have also completed FORS E-Learning modules.’
‘We haven’t had any accidents in the past 4 years’ – Dan Poole – Transport Manager
- We have increased our MPG across the fleet by 13.65% and kept our incidents to zero for the past 4 years. We achieved this by making sure we always selected the best route possible to all our sites and we plan ahead before leaving the yard
|MPG||Incidents per 100,000 Kms||Number of Vehicles|
|Jul 14 – Jun15||26.82||0||5|
|Jul 16 – Jun17||30.48||0||7|
|Percentage improvement||13.65%||0%||40% increase|
*No incidents for the past 4 years and a 13.65% improvement in MPG across the whole Fleet.
- We get all my drivers to complete a comprehensive Medical Declaration on a annually basis even though the FORS Standard states once every 5 years. It’s also mentioned in the drivers handbook that if they at any point in time start suffering from a medical condition they need to notify the company ASAP as well as if they need to start taking medication prescribed by their GP or over the counter drugs. We will then investigate it to see if it’s still safe for the driver to be driving for the company and we may even ask the driver to get a letter from his doctor informing the company if he is still able to drive for the company. We will then start doing more driver assessments on the driver to make sure he isn’t a risk to the company or anyone on the road.
- We have recently adopted a recruitment policy to try and help us recruit young drivers into the Transport industry.
- We only have 1 Operators yard and it’s in an Industrial Estate. We load our lorry using electric fork lifts to reduce sound, we only use this site for parking our Vehicles. Servicing and cleaning is done by external garages at their premises and as we are a hauler we go to a site drop it off. Very rarely would we bring a load back to our yard and if we do it would then be unloaded using the electric forklift so there’s no added noise. All our vehicles are fitted with White Noise Reversing alarms. The only noise generated is when my lorries are idling so we can carry out our defect checks. All my lorries have white noise reversing alarms fitted to them.
- We deliver our own products which is lighting and fixings. We can’t use alternative methods of transport as we cover the whole country and rely on customer demands. We do try if it’s a small order to take it by train but 99% of our delivers are pallets or longer than 2 meters in length. As we deliver to construction sites, its very rarely that there is a infrastructure to get to the sites any other way than road. Yes there is an option but we replaced our lorry last year and now have a euro 6 engine and we only use the lorry 2 days a week if that. So even though there is a option its still not cost effective as we don’t use the lorry enough to justify the additional cost upfront.
We will continue using what FORS has taught us to improve our MPG and reduce any wasted idling we might have and keep our accidents to zero’
Gaining FORS Gold Accreditation shows how dedicated we are as a company to improving road safety and the safety of all vulnerable road users in London as well as nationally. We will continuously use what FORS has taught us to help reduce our carbon footprint and make the roads so safer for everyone that uses them. We have also managed to make a significant saving by reducing our fuel usage and improving our MPG.
Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim