Phill Bascombe Transport Ltd is based in Mannington near Wimborne in Dorset, we are a specialist haulage company operating lorry mounted cranes. Phillip Bascombe is the Managing Director, he explains that since joining FORS the company has achieved improvements including better understanding of the safety of vulnerable road users & reducing the emissions created by the fleet.
We came across FORS at the suggestion of a client and we realised it would help us to achieve best practice and benefit us. We joined FORS to enable us to carry on working for our customers and to be able to improve our performance as a road haulage company through using best practice and improved internal systems.
Phill Bascombe transport are currently at FORS Bronze status and achieved this after some hard work and guidance from the FORS guidelines we passed the audit. Since we have
been a Bronze member for a few years we decided that we are ready to take the next step towards becoming FORS Gold, via a combined Silver and Gold application.
By doing this we feel it will help us to improve on day to day running and help to reduce the fuel and emissions out-put and monitoring of our vehicles.
“As FORS is growing we are growing with it” – Phill Bascombe, Director
We have made significant improvements since joining FORS. These include:
- better utilization of vehicles between our customers and deliveries.
- better fuel consumption through training provided though the FORS website and FORS registered training providers.
- we have been encouraging our drivers to wash and keep their vehicle in a clean
condition not only does this enhance the company image it also ensures that windows are clean which in turn reduces the risk of incidents.
- Driver recruitment is managed by word of mouth recruitment and also localadvertising. Due to the location of our Operating centre, we prefer to recruit local drivers.
- Due to the type of vehicles that we operate, and the work that we carry out we are
unable to switch any of our business via modal shift.
Further improvements include:
- Performance data – data come from that provided for FORS requirements S2 and G2.
|Incidents per 100,000 KMS||CO2||NOx||PM10||Number of PCNs||Proportion of fleet that uses alternative fuels|
|Year 0 (18-19)||0||257.9277||974.5679||15.089277||3||0%|
|Year 1 (19-20)||0||448.6049||2664.3738||40.3305||0||0%|
- There are no emissions improvements in Emissions due to both an increase in Fleet numbers and also a significant increase in workload. However, the number of PCN’s received has been reduced to nil.
- We are reviewing our driver health and fitness on a regular basis by asking them
questions and continually looking at their working hours.
- We now continually look at the noise emissions of our business and are actively
looking at what we can do to reduce noise pollution.
Our plans for the future
Our plans for the future are to continue to improve the fleet and fuel consumption, we are continually updating our fleet to Euro IV lower emission vehicles and keeping the amount of empty running to an absolute minimum to reduce our carbon footprint.
We have been using the FORS logo on both our website and vehicles since we first became Bronze accredited and now have also added it to our headed paper and email signature to promote both the fact that we are a FORS Member and also FORS in general.
*Please note: All published FORS Gold case studies have been submitted by the accredited company named above and transcribed verbatim