S Godley Transport Ltd has been in business for 18 years and have always worked exclusively for Tarmac. The company operates 2 x Euro 6 rigid tippers, running out of their base depot at Harper Lane, Radlett, from where they transport aggregate and asphalt materials around the south of England.
Stacey, alongside the general manager Amy Hollands, are both always looking to continuously adopt the FORS standard to the running of the business. Since joining the scheme, the business has noticed improvements with fuel efficiency, safety record and driver retention.
S Godley Transport Ltd first heard of FORS when they initially became a sub-contractor for Tarmac, where they were required to become FORS Bronze accredited. They have had Silver and Gold for nearly 6 years.
S Godley Transport Ltd passed their FORS Bronze audit first time. This was challenging to Stacey and Amy, but they both quickly saw the benefits it brought to the company. This is what drove the company to succeed with FORS.
After gaining their Bronze, the company confirmed that FORS was an invaluable resource and helping them move forward as a business with noticeable improvements. Silver accreditation was gained first time, with Gold coming swiftly afterwards.
“The FORS E-Learning resources have been a fantastic help, identifying the safe standard we need to operate to, especially with training new drivers that are fresh into the industry” – Stacey Godley (Owner of S Godley Transport Ltd)
S Godley Transport Ltd found the online tools especially useful. Utilising the driver training programme, classroom based and online e-learning, they found it reduced accident rates by 100% over the past 24 months by increasing the awareness of road safety and the related road risks and having a positive impact on driver retention.
“Our FORS membership has been invaluable to the business, helping continual commitment to sharing the roads, as well as improvements to driver and vehicle safety” – Amy Hollands (General Manager of S Godley Transport Ltd)
Since becoming Bronze and Silver accredited, S Godley Transport Ltd have made many improvements to the business:
- Performance data – Recording fuel data has enabled the company to identify trends, showing fuel consumption has been steady and hitting averages, as well as continuing to keep PCNs and Incidents down to zero.
- Driver health and fitness review – All staff drivers are now required to complete an annual health declaration as well as report any health complications that may affect their driving. The company now has a fitness and wellbeing policy, which highlights the importance of staying active and promoting a healthy lifestyle with exercise tips.
- Recruitment of drivers – When recruitment is required, the company has a robust policy and procedure in place that demonstrates equal opportunities, a thorough induction process and right to work checks.
- Noise assessment – The company carries out their own in-house noise assessment using FORS recommended applications, of which the results reviewed and acted on where needed.
- Modal shift and alternative vehicles – The company attends all the major commercial motor vehicle shows to ensure they keep updating with the latest technology, as well sign up for demonstrator vehicles where they can and provide constructive feedback. S Godley Transport Ltd will always consider alternative fuels and ULEZ type vehicles, with annual reviews carried out by the owner and transport manager.
- Routing and scheduling – The company has introduced new routing and scheduling polies and procedures, to enable safer roads around high-risk areas as well as complaints. This has contributed to the number of complaints and incidents being recorded to zero.
S Godley Transport Ltd intends to continue in investing in the latest technology and safety equipment. Replacing older vehicles when the time comes to the newest Euro standard, as well keeping up to date with industry initiatives to help drive down fuel consumption and emissions. Low entry and high visibility vehicles will be continually researched, with the intention of upgrading the current fleet when the time is right within their sub sector of the transport industry.
The company actively promotes FORS through the use of their logos on official letterheads
as well as emails. They have also a social media account, which is updated periodically with pictures of the fleet at high profile locations and mentioning the FORS brand.
Continuing to operate at the highest standard with Gold will show that the company is dedicated to continual improvements, across the environment, road safety and driver training as supporting change in the haulage community.
S Godley Transport Ltd can be followed on Instagram with the following details: https://www.instagram.com/workingdog66/?hl=en