Earlier this year it was announced that The Highway Code will be updated following the input of thousands of drivers, motoring groups and transport organisations in an effort to make UK roads safer.
Proposed changes are available to view on the GOV.UK website and include reference to FORS at ‘Annex 6 Vehicle maintenance, safety and security’ in relation to undertaking all aspects of the daily walkaround checks for commercial vehicles.
- Strengthened pedestrian priority on pavements and when crossing or waiting to cross the road
- Strengthened priority to cyclists when travelling straight ahead at junctions
- Clearer advice on where to stop in an emergency
- The importance of not driving in a lane closed by a Red X
- The use of variable speed limits to manage congestion
- Updated guidance on key factors that contribute to safety-related incidents, such as driving while tired, unroadworthy vehicles, safe towing, tailgating and driving in roadworks
The new version of The Highway Code is due to be published in early 2022.
FORS members are entitled to obtain a copy of The Highway Code at a discounted rate (minimum 20 per cent discount). Email DVSA.firstname.lastname@example.org quoting your FORS ID to take advantage of this offer.