The way that the MOT test works in England, Scotland and Wales will change from Sunday 20 May 2018, affecting cars, vans, motorcycles and other light passenger vehicles. Changes include new defect types, stricter rules for diesel car emissions, and exemptions for some vehicles over 40 years old.
The five main changes that you need to be aware of are:
- Different categorisation of defects: dangerous, major or minor
- Stricter rules for emissions from diesel cars with a diesel particulate filter
- Addition of new items such as contamination of brake fluid, fluid leaks posing an environmental risk and more
- Change to the design of the MOT certificate which will now list any defects under the new categories
- MOT exemption for cars, vans, motorcycles and other light passenger vehicles if they’re over 40 years old and have not been substantially changed
To find out more, please visit GOV.UK.