SAFE URBAN DRIVING
The theory part of Safe Urban Driving (SUD) training is currently delivered remotely. Delegates booking a place on funded SUD will be contacted at a later date to complete the practical on-cycle element. Driver CPC hours will not be awarded for attending SUD remotely with the practical on-cycle element at a later date.
Safe Urban Driving (SUD) is essential training for all commercial drivers operating HGVs regularly in the urban environment and where there are high volumes of vulnerable road users, such as cyclists and pedestrians. SUD training (delivered as classroom and on-cycle on the same day) is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) Silver level
- Construction Logistics and Community Safety (CLOCS) Standard
This course is DCPC approved by licensed training providers and runs for seven hours in accordance with periodic training regulations. Drivers attending this course will need to be physically able to ride a bicycle in order to complete the course and receive a certificate.
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users