VAN SMART TOOLKIT
VAN SMART MANAGER TOOLKIT
The FORS Professional Van Smart manager toolkit provides information and advice on how to improve the safety of vulnerable road users, and has been designed to provide practical tools to communicate key messages to drivers and staff.
This toolkit supports the FORS Professional Van Smart training course available for drivers, as well as the FORS Professional Van Smart eLearning module.
FORS operators can access a number of resources in this toolkit, including the FORS Professional Driver Handbook and a number of manager tools, toolbox talks, and posters.
Select from the following shortcut links to navigate to the various resources in the Van Smart toolkit.
VAN SMART DRIVER HANDBOOK
The FORS Professional Van Smart Driver Handbook is a ‘go-to-guide’ to help drivers better understand the law, improve their driving standards and help them to keep vulnerable road users safe. It provides everything drivers need to know, including
- How to run a safe and efficient vehicle
- How to be a safe and efficient driver
- How to run a safe and efficient operation
There are number of tools available within this toolkit designed to improve the safety of van operations and to make the roads safer for vulnerable road users. The tools available provide helpful information and advice to fleet operators and transport managers about how to:
- Recruit responsible, safety-minded staff
- Engage with staff to improve their driving standards and professionalism
- Develop and run an internal road safety campaign
- Comply with the law and contractual requirements
The tools include:
- One – Key messages to give drivers
- Two – A clear road safety policy
- Three – Guidance on sharing roads safely with others
- Four – A company wide Van Smart campaign
- Five – Checklists to make sure you haven’t missed anything
- Six – Materials to help you deliver road safety
Toolbox talks is an informal discussion with the workforce that focuses on a particular safety issue. These talks provide an excellent opportunity to have an open two-way conversation with drivers about what Van Smart is and what it aims to achieve.
Six toolbox talks have been created and mirror the key messages throughout the various resources available within the Van Smart toolkit:
- Prepare yourself
- Check your vehicle
- Plan your journey
- Stick to the basics
- Consider others
- Act professionally
- Attendance register
Six posters are included in this toolkit. These will help to reinforce each of the key messages. These should be put up in drivers’ rest areas, canteens, offices and workshops. Consider rotating the posters on a regular basis to keep the messages active.
PROCESS FOR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMNET
PLAN – DO – CHECK – ACT
The adoption of Van Smart is split into four phases to enable the control and continuous improvement of processes. This phasing can be adopted so that any issues encountered on a daily basis may be prevented (preferably) or resolved.