Funded training: the theory part of Van Smart (VS) training is currently delivered remotely. Delegates booking a place on funded VS will be contacted at a later date to complete the practical on-cycle element. Driver CPC hours will not be awarded for attending VS remotely with the practical on-cycle element at a later date.
Van Smart aims to reduce work related road risks, improve safety and create long-term behavioural change in the van sector.
Van Smart training (delivered as classroom and on-cycle on the same day) is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- FORS Silver
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Construction Logistics & Community Safety (CLOCS) Standard
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users
In London, vans account for 80% of all road freight mileage. 10% of road traffic incidents involve a van and 11% of these incidents result in serious injury or fatality. A DVSA (then VOSA) report revealed that many vans fail their MOT first time and 89% of those stopped were found to be overweight.LOGIN to access the Van Smart training materials