Funded training: the theory part of Van Smart (VS) training is currently delivered remotely. Driver CPC hours will not be awarded for attending VS remotely with the practical on-cycle element at a later date.
Van Smart aims to reduce work related road risks, improve safety and create long-term behavioural change in the van sector.
Van Smart training (delivered as classroom and on-cycle on the same day) is Driver CPC accredited and fully aligned to meet the requirements of:
- FORS Silver
- Work Related Road Risk (WRRR)
- Construction Logistics & Community Safety (CLOCS) Standard
- The changing streetscape and the urban environment
- Vulnerable road users and sharing the road safely
- Defensive driving techniques and understand vehicle safety equipment and how to maintain its effectiveness
- Exchanging places, driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel, driver fitness and health
- Hazard recognition: understanding the issues faced by vulnerable road users
In London, vans account for 80% of all road freight mileage. 10% of road traffic incidents involve a van and 11% of these incidents result in serious injury or fatality. A DVSA (then VOSA) report revealed that many vans fail their MOT first time and 89% of those stopped were found to be overweight.
- A driver handbook– covering everything a van driver needs to know about how to be a safe, professional and courteous driver. This handbook is the takeaway from the Van Smart driver training course
- Tools for managers – essentially a ‘How to’ guide for fleet operators and transport managers to help implement the Van Smart programme. The tools includes guidance on recruiting safety-minded staff, improving driving standards and running internal safety campaigns. It also includes Van Smart tools such as toolbox talks and awareness posters
- A Competency Framework – this underpins the whole programme and defines what competencies van drivers need to have, what they need to do, and when and what behaviours they should demonstrate
- Toolbox Talks – six driver briefings that promote informal discussion with the workforce. Each one focuses on a particular safety issue and mirror the key messages of the Van Smart training programme
- Poster Set – a series of posters that visually communicate the six key messages of the Van Smart training programme
Van Smart driver training course
- A modular Driver Training Course – an assessed and approved, professionally facilitated training course for van drivers comprising of both the theory and practical (on-bike) modules.